Sunflower Pumpkin Seed Milk
- Place sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in two separate glass containers and fill with water until the seeds are covered. Allow the seeds to soak at room temperature for 8 hours. Drain and rinse seeds.
- Add soaked pumpkin and sunflower seeds, and 1.5 liters of water to your Blendtec blender and blend for several minutes, starting at a low setting and then moving to the highest setting for the last couple of minutes.
- Strain mixture through a nut milk bag, and be sure to push all of the liquid through the bag by squeezing the bag gently.
- Pour strained liquid back into rinsed blender, add Manuka Honey, vanilla extract, and salt, and blend for another 30 seconds. Feel free to add more or less water to reach your desired consistency, and add any spices that suit your tastes. We like to use Philosophie Beecacao Superfood Honey in place of classic Manuka honey for a richer, lightly chocolaty flavor and a boost of nutrient-rich superfoods. To give your fresh seed milk an extra dose of plant-based protein, add 1 Tablespoon of Philosophie Green Dream Superfood + Protein Blend to the blender along with the honey, vanilla, and salt and blend until thoroughly incorporated.
- Fresh seed milk can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nut milk has become one of the most popular ways for people with lactose intolerances to enjoy the delicate flavors and creamy texture of milk. But what about people with nut allergies? Luckily, nuts aren’t the only option for healthy, dairy-free milk alternatives. Seeds milk are highly nutritious, easy to make, and delicious. There are tons of options out there, including chia seed milk, hemp seed milk, and flax seed milk. Our favorite seed milk is from a blend of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds!
Why not just use one type of seed, you ask? Blending the two different types of seeds brings a fuller range of nutrients to the mix and creates a more dynamic flavor. Both sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are packed with nourishing vitamins, minerals, plant protein, healthy fats, and dietary fibers.
Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin E intake has also been linked to a decreased risk of arterial blockage and cardiovascular disease¹.
Like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds also have high anti-inflammatory properties. As food that is rich in magnesium, pumpkin seeds can help relax blood vessels and therefore promote healthy blood pressure. The zinc in pumpkin seeds can provide a boost to the immune system and improve insulin regulation². They’re also an excellent source of plant-based omega-3 fats.
Blended, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds make a healthy alternative to dairy and nut milk and a good reason to toast to your health!
Learn More From Source
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1.5 liters filtered water
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of Philosophie Green Dream Superfood + Protein Blend (optional)
- 2 tbsps of Manuka Honey (Philosophie Beecacao Superfood Manuka Honey optional)