Asian Soup with Ginger
- In medium saucepan, bring chicken stock to a low simmer. Add ginger slices and let simmer at least 15 minutes or longer. (Taste to see if you have as much ginger flavor as you'd like.) If you'd like a clear soup, use a yogurt strainer or coffee filter to strain the ginger-infused chicken stock, then rinse pan and put strained stock back into pan. Add a small amount of water if the stock has reduced very much.
- While ginger simmers in stock, wash and slice mushrooms and thinly slice spinach leaves. Clean green onion and slice into very thin slices. Bring infused stock back to a low simmer, then add mushrooms and simmer 1 minute. Add sliced spinach and simmer one minute more. Turn off heat and add green onions, then serve soup hot, with chopsticks to eat the veggies after you drink the broth.
Barbara from Winos and Foodies is one of those wonderfully genuine and positive people that everyone loves, even those of us who live halfway around the world and can only enjoy her spirit through the miracle of the internet. RecentlyBarbara courageously shared the news that the cancer she's battled since 2004 has returned. She's now undergoing another round of chemotherapy, so Ilva from Lucullian Delights and Bron from Bron Marshall have organized a giant virtual hug for Barbara to let her know how much healing energy is being sent her way. This healing soup is something I'd gladly make for Barbara if I could, so I'm sending her the recipe with all my love and best wishes.
You can change the rest of this recipe any way you wish, but don't skip the step of simmering the thick slices of ginger root in chicken stock.
For a clear soup, strain the chicken broth after you've simmered the ginger. (You can skip this step, but definitely the soup will be prettier and more appetizing if it's strained. A coffee filter works well if you don't have a yogurt strainer like the one I used above.)
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock (canned low-sodium chicken broth would work too)
- 3-4 thick slices fresh ginger root
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (any type, but I used mild white mushrooms which seem more soothing for the tummy)
- 1 cup spinach leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 green onion, very thinly sliced